The Inforrm winter break ends today, the second day of the Hilary Legal Term (although, as attentive readers will have noticed, we have been doing a lot of “Leveson Consultation postings” over recent days).
We are aware of the following media law cases listed for the Hilary Term. Please let us know if any of the information below is inaccurate or if we have omitted any relevant cases:
Supreme Court Cases
- PNM v Times Newspapers,17 and 18 January 2017 – (Lord Neuberger, Lady Hale, Lords Kerr, Clarke, Wilson, Sumption, Reed). Our case comment on the Court of Appeal decision can be found here.
- Flood v Times Newspapers, Miller v Associated Newspapers, Frost v MGN, 24, 25 and 26 January 2017 (Lords Neuberger, Mance, Sumption, Hughes and Hodge). The background to these appeals can be found in our posts here and here.
- Hourani v Thomson & ors 30 January 2017, 10 day trial. The Heatstreet blog has a post about this case which relates to the death of Anastasiya Novikova, a news presenter for NTK channel in Kazakhstan, who died violently a decade ago. The Particulars of Claim and Defence are available on this site. Further background can be found here.
- Todary v Westbourne Cars Ltd 6 February 2017, 4 day trial
- Jack Munro v Katie Hopkins 27 February 2017, 2 day trial. The background to his case can be found here.
- Stocker v Stocker 8 February 2017, renewed application for permission to appeal.
- Lokhova v Tymula, 15 February, renewed application for permission to appeal and stay of execution.
The following reserved judgments in media law cases are outstanding from last term:
- Mionis v Democratic Press heard 27 October 2016 (Gloster, Sharp and Lindblom LJJ).
- Otuo v Watchtower Bible and Tract Society 8 November 2016 (Chancellor, Gloster and Sharp LJJ).
- Lisle-Mainwaring v Associated Newspapers heard 11 November 2016 (HHJ Parkes QC).
- Lachaux v Independent Print. heard 29 and 30 November and 1 December 2016 the Court of Appeal (Macfarlane, Davis and Sharp LJJ).
- His Highness Prince Moulay Hicham Ben Abdullah Al Alaoui of Morocco v Elaph Publishing Limited, heard 30 November 2016 (Patten, King and Simon LJJ).
- Lisle-Mainwaring v Associated Newspapers heard 12 December 2016 (HHJ Moloney QC).
- Holyoake v Candy, heard 13 and 14 December 2016 (Warby J).
- Coulter v Sunday Newspapers, heard 19 December (Court of Appeal of Northern Ireland)